K-School Considers Gov. From Penn. to Head IOP

Harvard University may appoint outgoing Pennsylvania Governor Richard Thornburgh as director of the Institute of Politics at the Kennedy School of Government, Thornburgh's spokesman said Friday.

The spokesman, David Runkel, told The Boston Globe that Thornburgh visited the school twice last month to discuss the job with K-School officials.

Dean of Academics Albert Carnesale yesterday "would not confirm or deny" who was being considered for the position. But he said that the school was looking for a new IOP director to replace Jonathan Moore, who left last year.

Acting Director of the IOP, Mary McTigue, told The Globe that school officials had discussed the job with Thornburgh, and that the Republican politician is one of several candidates being considered for the post.

McTigue has been filling the position since Moore resigned last year to become U.S. coordinator for refugee affairs and ambassador at large. He had served as IOP director for twelve years.

Thornburgh, who served as governor for two terms, will leave office on January 20. During his time as governor, he was outspoken on several major economic issues. He was an early supporter of tax reform and of the mandatory balanced budget act. He also favored abolishing federal income tax deductions for state and local taxes, a move which would aid low-tax states such as Pennsylvania.

Thornburgh has not said whether he will accept the IOP position if it is offered.

The selection committee is expected to make a recommendation to Graham Allison '62, dean of the Kennedy School, near the end of the month.