Phoenix Club Plans Near Approval

By Martha A. Bridegam

Although the Historical Commission has already approved the Phoenix S.K. club's plan to rent its basement to a record store, the Cambridge Planning Board decided last night to delay its decision on the plan two weeks.

The testimony which the Planning Board heard last night ran in favor of the plan and conclusive permission for the move is almost certain, said Les Barber, the community development planner who is handling the case.

The club's tax bill increased substantially last year when its building was named commercial rather than residential according to a 1986 property assessment.

The rent paid by Festoon Records, the proposed tenant, will more than offset the club's additional tax burden, according to one club member who asked not to be named.

The Phoenix building falls under a web of city zoning laws meant to discourage businesses from invading the residential parts of Mt. Auburn Street. The final club building includes one apartment, and was considered "residential" until last year.

To help make ends meet, the club applied for permission to rent the bottom level of its Mt. Auburn St. building to Festoon Records, at the corner of Mt. Auburn and Arrow Streets.

"We're in a funny category between residential and commercial because we don't really sell anything or do anything except use the clubhouse, so it's a little hard to take the full commercial assessment," said John B. Langer '72 a member of the club's alumni board.

"We'd just as soon not have anything in our basement if we had our druthers," he added.

Although the co-owners, Mike Marashian and Des McDonnell, said they had hoped to set up shop by December 1, the store has yet to move into its new home. It has taken two months longer than expected to get approval from a series of Cambridge agencies.

"We found out there were a lot of technicalities and these details have gotten us on towards the end of January," Marashian said.