Track Makes Boston Quiver

The Harvard men's track and field team defeated Boston College and Boston University by the score of 69-51-50 at the Gordon Track and Tennis Center last friday.

The victory was especially important for the Crimson after its disappointing performance in a 101-35 loss to Northeastern University in its last meet.

Harvard Co-Captain Steven Abbey said, "I think we redeemed ourselves in the Boston area."

Abbey said that the meet was important because of the outside distractions affecting his team--the Crimson runners have had to think about their finals.

Sophomore James Russell started things off for the Crimson by winning the 35-lb. weight event with a throw of 61 ft., 9 3/4 in., giving Harvard a lead it would never give up.

Freshman Joseph Giani won the shotput with a toss of 46 ft., 10 1/4 in. while freshman Norman Rothschild placed second with a toss of 41 ft., 8 1/2 in..

Christopher Robertson won a close 500 meter race with a time of 1:07.1 and placed third in the pole vault with a vault of 9 ft., 8 in. Finishing ahead of Robertson was freshman Robert Goodson who took second with a vault of 11 ft., 6 in.

Women

The women's track and field team defeated Boston College and Boston University by the score of 59-56-29 in a meet at the Gordon Track and Tennis Center last Friday.

The women trailed B.C., 56-52, going into the final event, but Crimson Co-Captain Erin Sugrue won the triple jump with a jump of 38 ft., 5 in., propelling the Harvard to victory.

Sugrue, the first Harvard woman ever to clear 6 feet in the high jump, also won that event with a jump of 5 ft., 10 in., and the 55 meter hurdle final with a time of 8.42 to capture an elusive hat trick.

The only other event won by the Crimson was the 20-lb weight thrown 34 ft., 2 3/4 in. by Co-Captain Frances Edozien. Edozien finished second in the shotput with a toss of 28 ft., 3 in.

Despite winning only four events in the 14 event meet, the Crimson was able to pull out the overall victory because it was able to place among the leaders in nearly every event.

Freshmen Meredith Rainey (59.7, second) and Beth Pfefferle (59.9, third), and junior Jennifer Toomey (61.6, fourth) notched points in the quarter-mile run, while Rainey placed third (25.9) in the 200 meter run.

Sophomore Laura Blodgett took third in the long jump with a leap of 4.98 meters, just edging sophomore Jennifer Dunne who took fourth with a jump of 4.97 meters. Blodgett also took third in the triple jump with a jump of 35 ft., 7 in.