Men's Crew Team Buys 12 Ergs, Sells Old Ones

The Harvard men's crew team has purchased 12 new ergometers at a cost of $800 each, and is liquidating its inventory of old ergs.

The new Concept II ergs are technologically better than their predecessors with a padded seat, a smaller flywheel and an electronic measuring device which computes strokes-per-minute as well as total output.

"The new ergs have the same difficulty as the old ones but as the stroking is smoother, it feels easier over all," said captain of the crew team Steven W. Wayne '87.

The crew team will pay for the ergs out of their budget and has sold nine of the 10 older ergs either to the houses or individual oarsmen for $300 each.

The Lowell House Committee will vote at their next meeting whether to purchase the remaining erg which is of higher quality than the others for $350.

Michael R. Willis '87'-88, a varsity oarsman proposed this expenditure three weeks ago.

"Lowell hopes to be a real challenge in the intramural crew scene this year. Last year we won the Women's B's, and we hope to do even better this year," Willis said.