Prejudice

From Our Readers

To the Editors of The Crimson:

As a Californian for the past two decades, I must take exception to Miss Grossman's recent editorial on Mexican immigrant workers in California. Miss Grossman paints a bleak picture of opulent Californians living off the fruits of Mexican "slave" labor.

I live just north of San Diego, in the area Miss Grossman describes, but I must say that I have not seen the "huge mansions surrounded by acres of rocky terrain" she frequented on her vacation. Apparently, everyone Miss Grossman spoke to had a Mexican maid and gardener. But after living in San Diego for 10 years I know only one family with a Mexican servant, and this family lives in Boston.

More importantly, we must consider the economic need that drives Mexicans to cross the border and seek work in California and other southwestern states. Widespread corruption and government control have wrecked the Mexican economy to the point that jobs are simply not available. Jobs available for Mexican immigrants in the U.S. are perhaps poor by American stan dards, but pay and conditions are vastly superior to what is available in Mexico.

It seems that Miss Grossman's main objection is a common one: the sight of Mexicans working as servants and in other lowly positions makes her squeamish and uncomfortable. Perhaps she would prefer that the workers simply "go away," so their presence will not offend her liberal sensitivities. Miss Grossman does not realize that what for her is a source of irritation is for the Mexican worker a means, often the only means of survival. To stay "out of sight and out of mind" in Mexico would probably mean remaining unemployed, or at best accepting work at much lower pay and under much harsher conditions for the Mexican migrant workers in California.

The real terror in California for Mexican migrants is not their "opulent" employers, but the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The INS uses harsh policies and a heavy hand to keep Mexican migrants out and deport them if they manage to enter. In this way the INS, like Miss Grossman, forgets the economic necessity which drives both employers and employed.

Finally, I note that Miss Grossman also complained about her prejudiced friends who made comments about "those stupid Mexicans." Once again, I must note I have rarely, if ever, heard such sentiments expressed in California. Southern California, being the home of immigrants from all over the world, is probably the region the most free of prejudice in the entire country. Perhaps the bigots Miss Grossman ran into were Easterners. They were, after all, her friends. Saied Kashani '86