Adams Burglar Suspect Arrested

The Harvard University Police caught a suspected burglar after a chase through an Adams House stairway last night.

Police did not disclose the name of the suspect, who entered an Adams House suite by a fire door, according to Sarath H. Fernando '90, of Adams E-42. The sophomore said the suspect walked into his room and struck up a conversation with him.

"I was already suspicious because of the burglary in [Adams] F-41 this weekend--a radio got stolen, said Fernando. "As soon as he left, I called the police." He said he then tried to stall the suspected thief, but the intruder bolted down the stairs, beginning the chase that took Fernando and three friends down Adams House's E-entry stairway.

At the bottom of the stairs, Fernando said, the police took the suspect into custody.

Harvard Police officials refused all official comment yesterday, but police sources said the force had been tracing a pattern of thefts in the house that began on Friday and continued throughout the weekend.

George Ho '90 of Adams H-42 said he returned to his room yesterday evening to find his drawers rifled and an $80 miniature tape recorder missing. Ho said the intruder had unplugged his large radio/tape player, but had not taken it. "The thief actually did some choosing," he said. "The recorder must have been easier for him to carry."

Sophomore Ryan Minor said a "boom box" was stolen from his Adams House room on Saturday.

The alleged burglar had been seen in Adams House "several times," said Samuel A. Thernstrom '90, who was present at the capture. "I'm glad they caught him." he said.

"It was a bit of excitement to start off the night, but now it's time to hit the books," Fernando said.