Men Booters Breeze, 4-1; Hand Green First Loss

By Jennifer M. Frey

The Harvard men's soccer team handed Dartmouth its first loss of the season with a 4-1 triumph today at Ohiri Field.

In its second-highest scoring game this year, the Crimson (7-0-2 overall, 3-0 Ivy League) saw goals from its three sophomore forwards: Nick D'Onofrio, Dave Kramer and Derek Mills, as well as from senior midfielder Nick Hotchkin.

"We were quicker than they were," Harvard Coach Mike Getman said. "We were off at times, but at other times we were very good."

D'Onofrio netted the game's opening tally when a Crimson corner kick resulted in a scramble in front of the net. D'Onofrio took advantage of the confusion for an unassisted goal, putting Harvard up, 1-0.

Dartmouth (6-1-1) battled back to knot the game at 1-1 on a cross shot from Vladica Stanojevic less than five minutes later. Stanojevic, a sophomore from Yugoslavia, currently leads the Big Green with eight goals and three assists for 19 points.

But the Crimson scoring machine made a bid to erase its reputation as a low-scoring, second-half team with two more goals in the opening stanza.

Halfway through the period, senior Andy Dale took a long cross shot from the right corner which just caught the edge of the left goal post. Kramer was in perfect position to run the ball into the net for his seventh goal of the season. Kramer, who leads the team with 15 points, has scored in Harvard's last three contests.

The Harvard midfield set the tempo for the rest of the period, with Hotchkin's goal sending the Crimson into halftime with a 3-1 lead. The senior midfielder netted a cross pass from Kramer 39 minutes into the game.

Despite injuries, the Harvard backfield made a strong effort, with regulars Robert Bonnie, Andy Dale and Louis Lyons joined by junior Gian D'Ornellas in his second showing of the season. But a nagging hamstring injury slowed D'Ornellas, and Getman pulled him early in the game.

With the Crimson's other three backs also injured, Getman moved midfielder Richard Knight into the position, and inserted sophomore Derek Mills for a three-forward/three-midfielder attack.

Mills came up with a late second-half goal to close out the scoring at 4-1.