Crimson Tops B.U.

In her four years on the Harvard field hockey team, Kristen Fallon had not scored much. In fact, she hadn't scored at all.

But yesterday, she came up with her biggest game--and only career goal--just when the Crimson needed it.

Fallon's goal with 25 minutes left broke a 1-1 tie and lifted the Crimson to a 2-1 victory over Boston University in front of 30 spectators at Soldiers Field.

The win--Harvard's second in a row--keeps the Crimson (6-3-2) in the race for the Boston Four title, a competition which also includes Northeastern and Boston College. Harvard's record in the Boston Four is now 1-1.

Both teams played aggressively, especially Harvard, which was trying to avenge a two-season losing streak to the Terriers.

"It was a good win," Tri-Captain Cindi Ersek said. "I think we were a little bit tired from our game on Tuesday [a 1-0 victory over UNH], but it is definitely a big win for us in the Boston Four."

"Harvard played really well," said Boston University Coach Sally Starr. "We had some trouble for the first 15 to 20 minutes adjusting to the grass because we are mostly a turf team."

Tri-Captain Kate Felsen put the Crimson on the scoreboard with 25 minutes remaining in the first half, but her tally was answered quickly by the Terriers.

"We came out really strong the first 10 minutes," said Felsen. "We were really dominating until the first goal. Then we sat back on our lead and they came back."

Fallon ended the deadlock with 25 minutes remaining in the second half when she took a pass off a penalty corner and placed a beautiful shot into the far left side of the net.