Modest Responses to a Glorious Day

Varelitas

By Julio R. Varela

Bob Glatz likes to talk about Crimson football, especially after a big win.

Bob Glatz has a modest knack at describing plays, especially touchdowns. Especially his own touchdowns.

So, after Harvard defeated Princeton, 24-19, Saturday at the Stadium, Bob Glatz--who scored two key touchdowns--had a lot to say.

Tell us about the first score, Bob--the one where you virtually snagged down a Tom Yohe pass out of nowhere and raced to the goal line.

"I don't even know if I saw the ball," Glatz said. "I do remember looking up and then putting my head down and running harder because I thought the pass was overthrown. Then I just threw my hands up in the air and it just fell in my hands."

Good job for not seeing the ball, Bob.

Glatz described the play as if it was luck, a question of being in the right place at the right time. Sure, Bob, okay.

How about your second score, Bob--the one when Coach Restic decided to go for it on fourth-and-one on the Princeton 30? You know, the one where you wound up streaking into the end-zone for the game-winning touchdown.

"It was a toss-right and was supposed to go out wide," Glatz said. "It happened so fast. I didn't happen to see a hole on the outside because the hole was inside. The defense overran the play and the hole was big. I was so surprised."

Surprises can sometimes get you places, Bob.

Finally, Bob, what about the fact that the Harvard backfield is blossoming into one of the better units on the Crimson squad? The backs are running for long gains, they're making the big blocks and catching the key touchdowns.

"In the Multiflex, everyone's a receiver or runner," Glatz said. "We are a good group of backs who are able to do a lot of things. Everyone does a great job."

Great might be understating it just a bit, Bob. Against the Tigers, the running attack of Glatz, Tony Hinz, and Dave Bunning had one of its best games of the year. The trio combined for 219 of Harvard's 234 total rushing yards. Glatz and Hinz each caught one of Yohe's two TD strikes.

And let's not forget the blocking, an easy part of the game to forget when the more exciting plays occur away from the line of scrimmage. Whoever runs, whether it be be Hinz, Glatz, or Bunning, the other backfield mates are sure to offer excellent lead blocking.

No wonder Restic said he's pleased with the overall performance of his backfield.

"I'm not surprised with the running game," Restic said. "We just have to make it go."

Against Princeton, the running game got going. The Harvard offense just keeps getting better and better.

Now, the Crimson finds itself tied for first place with Brown and Cornell. Two weeks ago, Harvard had reached its lowest point of the season with a last-minute loss to the Big Red. How quickly things change.

Part of this has been due to Harvard's running game. Last week against Dartmouth, Hinz scored the big plays. He followed up with a 90-yd. performance against the Tigers. Bunning keeps getting tough, consistent yardage. On Saturday, Glatz's two-TD day helped seal a big Crimson victory.

The Ivy race continues, and Bob Glatz hopes he's still talking Crimson football at season's end.