Attorney Warns Of Clandestine Rightist Group

A clandestine network of American right-wing activists "equivalent to the KGB" have for the last two decades attacked liberal groups here and abroad, a prominent civil liberties lawyer said in a speech at Harvard Law School yesterday afternoon.

Daniel Sheehan '67 told more than 100 law students that the network, which he referred to as "the Secret Team," had used bombings, smuggling, and assasinations to further a variety of right-wing causes.

"They're out to stomp out every single communist political group, every single socialist group, every single progressive political organiza- tion in the world," Sheehan said. "This is oneof the two largest threats to civil rights in theworld--the other is the KGB," he said.

Sheehan's said his speech was based on evidencehe accumulated in a federal circuit court suitthat charges Iran-contra figures including Gen.John K. Singlaub, Gen. Richard Secord, Contraleader Adolfo Calero, arms dealer Albert Hakim and25 others of wide-ranging organized criminalactivity. The case is currently being heard inFlorida in the Eleventh Circuit Court.

He said the Christic Institute, a small,interfaith public interest law firm, is chargingthe 29 with violating the 1970 Racketeer Influenceand Corrupt Organization (RICO) Act, which wasdesigned to combat organized crime.

In a two-hour speech, the lawyer describedevidence that Christic Institute lawyers saypoints to an elaborate nationwide network offormer CIA and FBI operatives, governmentofficials, and independent civilians throughoutthe country.

The network is not allied with any government,he said