Senior Runs Student Campaign

Mather Resident Leads National Campus Effort for Gore

Massachusetts may be Dukakis territory, but Harvard could belong to Sen. Albert J. Gore Jr. '69 (D-Tenn.) if one Mather House senior has his way.

After spending the summer working for Gore, who is also a member of Harvard's Board of Overseers, Jonathan S. Miller '88 became the national chairman of Students for Gore.

The Lexington, Ky., native said he is responsible for coordinating campaign activities at more than 200 campuses in 40 states. In addition, Miller said he acts as liaison between student state coordinators and the national campaign in Washington.

"My main responsibility is to bring organization to the state campaigns," he said. "I have to make sure that the forces will be out campaigning in Iowa and especially in nearby New Hampshire, where I'll be able to facilitate student campaign trips."

Miller, who said he is the only student in charge of a national college campaign for an '88 candidate, said he was appointed to his post after convincing Tom Cawley, deputy political director for the Gore campaign, of the need to organize a national student constituency.

Miller said his plans for the campaign include a voter registration drive on campuses across the nation and a newsletter about the campaign activities. He said Gore's youthfulness--the candidate is 39--and his opposition to the Vietnam War will help attract students to the presidential aspirant.

Although Miller said he devotes several hours each day to the campaign, he said college campaigns outside of New England work more closely with their individual state coordinators.

Tab T. Stewart '88, who runs the Harvard Gore campaign with Robert Herzstein '88, said Miller has helped bolster the Harvard campaign, which he estimated to have 60 to 70 members.

"I'm very lucky to have him on campus," said Stewart, who added that he plans to bring a large contingency of Harvard students to a Gore campaign appearance at Brandeis University next week.

Miller, a Southerner like Gore, said thecandidate's father, former Sen. Albert Gore Sr.,was his childhood role model. He said the youngerGore is the most electable of the Democratic slateof candidates on a nationwide level.

Although Miller said he could support Gov.Michael S. Dukakis or Sen. Paul Simon (D-III), hesaid he did not think either could defeat aRepublican in '88. Gore, on the other hand, cansweep the South with his more moderate views,Miller said.

"[Gore] is the only Democrat who won't panderto leftist interest groups," Miller said. "TheAmerican people will not elect a McGovernite.