Bok, Tosteson to Open New Med School Building

President Bok, Medical School Dean Daniel C. Tosteson and former Medical School dean Robert H. Ebert will dedicate this afternoon a new Medical Education Center at the Medical School.

Designed in part to house the five newly created Medical School societies which are a part of the school's new curriculum, the Center was built as part of a two-year, $25 million project.

Medical school officials said the new building will be used mostly for teaching rather than research, housing classrooms and teaching labs. The new physiology labs will have locker and shower facilities.

In addition, the Center will house an office, central meeting room and computers for each of the five Medical School societies which are supposed to improve student-faculty contact.

Dr. Stephen Robinson--master of William B. Castle Society, one of the five--said that the societies are "the mirror image of the houses at the College." He said, "They are groupings of students and teachers not so much for housing, but for academic purposes."

The dedication will culminate a series of events today.

Tours of the Center, located at 260 Longwood Avenue, will begin at noon. A Symposium on Education for Medicine will take place at 1:30 p.m.

David W. Fraser, president of Swarthmore College, will speak on the topic "Unmet Needs and Unused Skills: Physicians Reflections on Their Undergraduate Education."

Carl B. Beeson, professor emeritus at the University of Washington Medical School, will give an address on "Clinical Teaching: Then and Now."

John R. Evans, president of Allelix, Inc. and an international health expert, will speak on "Health and Populations: Expanding Medical Horizons."