Dole Formally Announces Bid To New Hampshire Supporters

By David L. Greene, Special to The Crimson

MANCHESTER, N.H.--Senate Minority Leader Robert Dole officially launched his presidential campaign yesterday at a speech before 1000 supporters in Manchester, New Hampshire.

In his speech, which followed similar addresses in Kansas and Iowa, Dole said that his first priority as president would be to decrease the deficit without raising the tax base.

"Public enemy number one today is the federal deficit," said the two-time presidential contender. "At no point [since the deficit problem began] has our government been willing to face and weigh the tough choices, to act resolutely to cut spending."

Dole said that in order to reduce the deficit, he would demand both a line-item veto and a balanced-budget amendment to the constitution. Dole said that as president he would call for a Constitutional Convention if the balanced-budget measure failed to win Congressional approval.

Dole departed slightly from traditional party lines by stating that "with the single exception of programs to assist vulnerable Americans, no area of federal spending will be off-limits [to spending cuts]."

However, Dole did remain faithful to mainstream Republican stands. He said that defense must be a "number one priority."

Dole said that he hoped to save on defense spending by allowing American allies to shoulder more of the burden of defense. "Our allies must recognize that an alliance is a two way street."

Dole also laid out several other major tenets of his public policy, saying he is committed to preventing protectionist trade-legislation, to promoting right-to-life policies, and to enhancing the quality of American public schools.

While Dole did not stress the politicaldistinctions between himself and the otherRepublican candidates, he did make an effort topresent a unique image of a strong-willedgrass-roots politician.

In his speech, Dole stressed the values that hehad derived from his rural upbringing in Russell,Kansas. Standing in front of a 20-foot wideAmerican flag, Dole began his speech with aninvocational prayer and the singing of thenational anthem. Dole punctuated his address withtales about his upbringing and his World War IIexperiences, concluding that it is the nation's"values and patriotic traditions that make Americathe country that we want to live in."

"I believe that the American voter, regardlessof party, is looking for someone who cares aboutvalues, who cares about America, who cares aboutfamily, and who is willing to make tough choicesand hard decisions," said Dole.

Dole's New Hampshire announcement was wellattended by student groups from several localcolleges. A group of Harvard Law School studentscarried signs proclaiming "Harvard Law StudentsLove Liddy and Her Spouse," a reference to formerTransportation Secretary Elizabeth Dole whoattended the Law School.

Reaction to the speech was mixed from the 30members of the Harvard Students for Dole whoattended the event.

The organization's Co-Chairperson Ellen Cox '89said she thought Dole had done a good job "atshowing that compassionate and Republican are notmutually exclusive terms."

However, other members of the club felt thatDole over-generalilzed the issues, shying awayfrom specifics. Group members particularlyattacked Dole's handling of the deficit issue,noting that while he said he was committed toreducing the budget, he still claimed to supportall current spending programs.

Chris W. Kobach '88, co-chairman of the HarvardStudents for Dole, said that he felt the speechwas "a turning point in the Dole campaign."

He added that he was pleased by the largestudent turnout at the rally. "It shows that theyare either really committed to Dole, or that theydon't have any midterms," said Kobach