Experts Predict

School in 1960, agrees with his rival for the Democratic nomination that Harvard will win The Game.

The Rev. Marion G. (Pat) Robertson, a Republican aspirant who attended Yale Law School, could not be reached for a prediction because he was too busy campaigning, according to his press secretary, Scott Hatch. "However, next year when he will be going into the White House, he may have more time to answer questions," Hatch added.

"It's going to be a battle of the quarterbacks. The smug traditions of Yale tailgaters will smother the Yale quarterback, and Harvard's clear and precise thinking will dissect the Yale defense," Sen. Timothy Wirth '61 (D-Colo.) says. "It seems to me the score will be 31-17."

Washington Post Executive Editor Benjamin C. Bradlee '43 predicts that Harvard will win The Game by at least 10 points. He hasn't been to a game since 1941, but he says that he's heard Harvard is pretty good this year.

Michael J. Arlen '52, a writer for The New Yorker magazine, declared after considerable thought, "I think Harvard will probably win based on their greater capacity for abstract thought and superior personal hygiene, unless, of course, The Game is played indoors on ice, in which case any good Canadian team is bound to triumph."

Harold Brodkey '51, a colleague of Arlen's at The New Yorker, said that Harvard will win because "everybody knows that Harvard always wins."

"I hope Harvard will win," said anti-ERA activist Phyllis Schlafly '45, but she added that she doesn't know a thing about football.

Former Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger '38 told his press secretary to say, "If she [the reporter] doesn't know who I favor, she shouldn't be on the staff of The Crimson." Administration sources speculated that Weinberger favors Harvard. Weinberger was president of The Crimson in 1937.

Sen. William Proxmire, Yale '38 (D-Wisc.), who attended both schools but got his letter in football at Yale, bared his true loyalty. Proxmire predicted a Bulldog victory, saying, "I'm a Yalie at heart."

While some of those who would be president didn't have time to chat about The Game, people with more riding on the winner than prestige were willing to tell the odds.

Because the Ivy League title rests on the outcome of The Game, the amount of betting is higher than it has been in at least 10 years, according to Dave Piermont, a writer for the betting tip sheet, "The Sports Reporter."

On the sports pages, Yale is favored by 1.5 points over Harvard. But the tip sheets don't all agree with that prediction.

"We happened to pick Harvard by 5," said Piermont. He explained that Yale is favored because of the home team advantage, not because it is a better team.