Crimson Booters to Host Adelphi in NCAA Quarterfinals

By Jennifer M. Frey

The Harvard men's soccer team will host Sunday's NCAA Quarterfinal game with Adelphi, NCAA officials announced yesterday.

The Crimson (13-0-3 overall, 6-0-1 Ivy League) will meet the Panthers at 1 p.m. on Ohiri Field. Adelphi (14-3-2) defeated Hartwick, 1-0, in overtime Saturday to capture the New York Regional Championship.

Advance tickets for Sunday's game are available at the Harvard Ticket Office in the basement of Harvard Hall. Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for students and $2 for children.

In last year's quarterfinal round, the Crimson defeated Hartwick, 2-0, at Ohiri.

All-Ivy Honors

Senior midfielder Nick Hotchkin and junior goalie Stephen Hall have been named first team All-Ivy, the Ivy League selection committee announced yesterday.

Eight Crimson booters received Ivy accolades, with sophomore forward Derek Mills, junior midfielder Ramy Rajballie and junior back Robert Bonnie all named to the second team. Sophomore forwards Nick D'Onofrio and David Kramer received honorable mention, as did sophomore midfielder Paul Baverstock.

Hotchkin, who was Rookie of the Year his freshman season and second-team All-Ivy last year, has two goals and six assists for 10 points for the undefeated Crimson. Hall has recorded six shutouts this season--including a 0-0 blanking of Yale last weekend, which earned him Co-Ivy Player of the Week honors.

Columbia's Kingsley Chin was named Player of the Year, and Princeton's Jim Barlow was honored as Rookie of the Year.

An Upsetting Weekend

Indiana, Virginia, and SMU--the nation's top three teams--were upset in second-round NCAA Tournament action Sunday, leaving number four Harvard the top-ranked team left in the playoffs. Clemson knocked off first-ranked Indiana, Loyola, Md., ousted Virginia, and San Diego dumped SMU.

In other regional championships, North Carolina downed South Carolina to claim the South Atlantic crown and Rutgers defeated Seton Hall in the Mid-Atlantic Region. UCLA advanced with a forfeit over UNLV, which was disqualified for using an ineligible player in its first-round contest.

This Sunday's quarterfinals will feature Harvard vs. Adelphi, UCLA vs. San Diego St., Rutgers vs. Clemson and North Carolina vs. San Diego St. The Final Four is slated for the weekend of December 5-6, and will be played at one of the participating schools.

Captain Mark Pepper returned to the Crimson lineup Saturday at Yale and is expected to play in this weekend's NCAA contest. Pepper sat out most of the season with a quadricep injury, playing in only three regular-season contests. Saturday, the senior saw 10 minutes of action in the midfield.

Missing in action for the Eli game was Mills, who turned an ankle in last Wednesday's practice and didn't dress for the match-up. The sophomore forward missed Harvard's first three games with a knee injury.