Harvard Hosts Filmmaker As Imamura Festival Begins

By Ross G. Forman

The Harvard Film Archives last night began a two-week series to honor one of Japan's most renowned directors with the American premiere of his newest film.

Shohei Imamura, director of "The Ballad of Narayama" and other award-winning films, arrived at Harvard on Tuesday for a 15-day visit under the auspices of the film institute, in cooperation with the Japan Foundation of New York and Harvard's Reischauer Institute of Japanese studies.

Imamura screened his 1987 film, "Zegen" last night, and it will be shown again tonight and Saturday. The film depicts the life of a Japanese man who sells prostitutes to brothels in Southeast Asia. It stars Ken Ogata, the key actor in several Imamura films. "Zegen" deals with the issues of patriotism, imperialism and particularly feminism, said Vladimir K. Petric, director of the Harvard Film Archives.

Considered one of Japan's best filmmakers, Imamura is chiefly known for "The Ballad of Narayama," which won the Palme d'Or award in 1983 and has since become a classic of contemporary cinema. The visit is intended to give scholars and film buffs a chance to become acquainted with both the films and their maker, said Petric.

The director's visit is his first to the United States. He is scheduled to lecture onseveral of his films, attend classes and meet withfaculty members, students, and Boston-areafilmmakers, He is accompanied on his tour byTadayoshi Himeda, a documentary filmmaker whosework on ritual and custom, particularly among thedwindling Ainu people of Hokkaido, has influencedImamura's work. Many of Himeda's films will alsobe screened by the archives.

Speaking through an interpreter, Imamura saidhe decided to come to Harvard on short notice lastspring after several years of a "surprisingacquaintance" with the Harvard Film Archives,which has sent students to study at his filmschool in Tokyo for the past two years. And since"there was no reciprocal exchange, the principalarrived in person," Imamura added.

Petric said Imamura's films "aim in cinema toreflect the mentality of the Japanese people,"adding that Imamura's focus on his native culturehas contributed to his fame as a director. Petricsaid Imamura is "the most important director inJapanese cinema, together with [Akira] Kurowsawa."Kurowsawa's most recent film is "Ran."

The Japanese filmmaker said he was pleased tobe here but was disappointed that some of his"personally important" films will not be screenedbecause of problems over distribution rights and"the deep desire of the gods". These include hisrecent "Pigs and Battleships" and "The InsectWoman". He said it would be hard for him to talkabout his work as a whole if his audience has notseen these films.

And as it is, Imamura said he does not feel hehas much of a reception in the United States,except among film buffs--because "it doesn't makeany money for scholars to like my films."

Petric said he did not know what effectImamura's visit would have on scholars at Harvard,saying, "I am not a fortuneteller." But Imamurasaid his visit to Harvard would probably have aneffect on his films in the future. "I have apremonition this will influence my future work,"he said. The director said he was not sure whatkind of influence, although he said it is probablymeaningful that on his first visit to the U.S. hecame to Boston, "the oldest town" in the country