The Scouting Report

By Julio R. Varela

HARVARD

Quarterback: Crimson QB Tom Yohe has already broken two Harvard all-time single-season records (passing yardage and attempts), and the Ivies' leading passer has a good shot of breaking both the single-season touchdown and completion marks this afternoon. Although he was injured last week against Brown, Yohe should be ready. Yohe's arm is the biggest strength for Harvard today.

Running Backs: The trio of Dave Bunning, Bob Glatz, and Tony Hinz (the Ivies' fifthleading rusher) has combined for a total of 1137 yards, averaging close to five yards per carry. The running game has certainly matured over the last four games and has been picking up key first downs late in the game.

Receivers: Perhaps the best receiving corps in the Ivy League, this group is led by Brian Barringer (31 catches) and clutch tight end Kent Lucas (17, 18.2 average). Look for Yohe to go to wide out Neil Phillips and TE Don Gajewski as well.

Offensive Line: The line is big and has done an outstanding job creating holes for Harvard runners. Led by junior Maurice Frilot, the line has offered consistent pass protection for Yohe.

Defensive Line: Harvard's defensive strength lies in its front five, led by Captain Kevin Dulsky. In seven games, Harvard has allowed only 572 yards on the ground and has sacked oposing quarterbacks 29 times (the Harvard record is 34). The line had one of its better games last week against Brown, as the front five constantly pressured Bruin QB Mark Donovan.

Linebackers: Linebacker Richard Mau is the Crimson's leading tackler (40) in 1987, while mate Kris Thabit (33)is third. This tandem has been successful both stopping the run and coming up with key tackles.

Secondary: Harvard's weak link has been generous, but the backs have shown signs of improvement in recent weeks. Led by corneback Frank Caprio (nine tackles last week), the secondary has given up 1362 passing yards and has come up with only six interceptions.

Kicking Game: Bruce Jacob has converted all 25 of his extra points but has made only five of 11 field goals. Punter Alan Hall has kicked 51 times for a 34.5 yards per punt average.

HOLY CROSS

Quarterback: Holy Cross QB Jeff Wiley has done it all--and then some--this fall. The Division I-AA's leading passer has completed 68 percent of his passes while accumulating 2723 yards through the air. In eight games, Wiley has thrown 28 TD passes and has been picked off only eight times in 277 attempts. Wiley is largely responsible for the Crusaders 563 total yards per game average (tops in Division I-AA).

Running Backs: Fullback Tom Kelleher (93 attempts, 476 yards, eight touchdowns) leads a Crusader runing game that avearges close to 200 yards per game. Gordie "Mr. Everything" Lockbaum has rushed for 10 scores and averaged close to five yards per carry. Sophomore Willie Bradford has rushed for 391 yards.

Receivers: The Crusaders have the Colonial League's most potent duo of receivers in Lockbaum and split end Wally Dembowski. This tandem has combined for 102 catches, 1468 total yards, and 14 touchdowns. Lee Hull and Rick Lane are next with 25 catches apiece.

Offensive Line: A great offense needs a great offensive line. The Crusader line certainly fulfills this requirement. No team has been successful pressuring Wiley.

Defensive Line: The Holy Cross offense has overshadowed its defensive counterparts, but don't tell this to DT Andy Martin. The head of the Holy Cross defensive line has 79 total tackles and four sacks. As a unit, the defense has sacked the quarterback 38 times, has allowed only 2.6 yards per carry, and has surrendered only 91 points in eight games.

Linebackers: Rob McGovern likes to get in on almost every play. And he has, recording 107 total tackles in just eight outings. Dave Mitchell, the other linebacker, has 38 tackles.

Secondary: It's tough. It's aggressive. It's a big resaon why the Crusader defense has allowed 165 yards through the air. CB Dave Murphy and FS Tom Estep have combined for 99 total tackles and nine interceptions.

Kicking Game: Placekicker Scott Kania has yet to attempt a field goal all season, but he has coverted 49 of 55 PAT's. Punter Jack Phelps--who has kicked only 19 times--posts a 35-yd. average.