Chiefs Pin Grapplers, 24-15

Sometimes you just don't know whether to smile or shrug.

The wrestling team was faced with such a dilemma last night at the Malkin Athletic Center, after coming up short against Springfield College, 24-15, in front of 50 fans.

The grapplers saw their valiant comeback crushed suddenly when junior Tony Consigli was pinned by Chief heavyweight Andy Miller 37 seconds into the first period of the final match. Yet few would deny that Harvard's overall performance exceeded its initial expectations.

"It was a really dissapointing loss, after that comeback and all," said Co-Captain Peter Holmes. "Overall, though I have to be pleased. I'm surprised it was as close as it was."

The defeat drops the team's record in dual meets to 1-2. The Chiefs remain undefeated, with four overall victories.

"We have quite a few young guys on this team and only three seniors," said Jeff Clark, the other co-captain. "There's lots of talents on this team, but we need more mat time."

Despite the team loss, the Crimson had strong showings from Clark and Holmes, as well as from junior Alex Konovalachek.

Clark, wrestling at 142 lbs, attacked his opponent Gregg Muscarella early, finishing the first three minute period with an 8-0 lead. He cruised through the rest of the contest, scoring a 10-1 victory.

The 167-lb. Holmes dominated his match as well, but was denied a pin by his tenacious foe, Jeff Butts. The senior had to settle for a 7-3 decision.

Holmes' victory comes on the heels of his dramatic overtime victory Saturday in The Coast Guard Academy Invitational Tournament. The grappler defeated Brown's highly touted E.C. Mulehaupt to become only the sixth Crimson wrestler to win the 28-year old tourney.

Against Springfield, Harvard's evening undoubtedly climaxed with Konovalachek's 2-0 shutout in the 190-lb. slot. Both points were taken late in the first period, leading to a tense stalemate for the final four minutes.

"For most of the time, I was shooting for a pin, since I knew we needed the points," he said. "But for the last 30 seconds I just wanted to hold on to the win." Konovalachek's victory brought Harvard within three points of a victory going into the final match.

The burden thus fell onto the heavyweight shoulders of Consigli. He met the challenge with an aggressive assault, but Miller responded with an over-under move, resulting in a takedown and the eventual pin.

Harvard Coach Jim Peckham responded to the defeat with tempered enthusiasm. "Everybody put forth a fine effort and showed good spirit. But this is a young and inexperienced team. There is plenty of work to be done."

Wrestling Notebook: Both Konovalachek and Consigli have only been practicing with the team for four days, having just recuperated from the football season...Sophomore John Liu is a recent replacement at 126 lbs. for Courtney Henry, who has temporarily left the team...Holmes has stopped picking on bigger people--he won the 190 lb. match against B.U. two weeks ago.