Racquetwomen Win

Crimson Crushes Trinity at Home, 8-1

By Martha C. Abbruzzese

It's always good to be home. Especially for the holidays.

Playing its first home match of the season last night at Hemenway Gymnasium, the Harvard women's squash team crushed Trinity, 8-1. In its last match before Christmas vacation the Crimson gave the home crowd of 80 spectators a nice gift.

The racquetwomen had a near perfect slate, with only one loss, and spectacular performances from the middle part of the line-up.

Four of Harvard's racquetwomen--number three Jenny Holleran, number five Stephanie Clark, number six Shelia Morrisey, and number seven Grace Sheffield--each triumphed in straight 3-0 matches.

"They were not as strong as I thought they would be," Morrisey said.

The Crimson expected a tougher match for Trinity, which placed second at nationals last season behind Harvard. But the Crimson simply dominated.

"Trinity came here ready to play, said Harvard Coach Steve Piltch. "We kept our poise even when we didn't start well."

"It was a good match," Holleran said. "Trinity has a lot of depth and the bottom people get good matches because they are usually a lot stronger than most other bottom players."

The number one player for Harvard, and the second-ranked collegiate raquetwoman, Diana Edge had a great match against Trinity's Ellie Pierce. The Crimson co-captain defeated Pierce, 3-1.

It was the second time this week that Edge had faced, and beaten, the Bantam star. On Sunday, the two played in the semifinals of the Princeton Invitational, a tournament which attracts the top 16 players from around the country.

"Under the circumstances we played pretty well," said Piltch. "Some people didn't play well for themselves, but still came out with wins."

It was a good way to go on vacation for the Crimson.

"We won the match and we took out of it how far we have to go to become a caliber team," Piltch said.