Hotchkin Named All-America; Bonnie Voted Soccer Captain

By Jennifer M. Frey

Harvard men's soccer player Nick Hotchkin has been named third-team All-America, the selection committee announced yesterday.

Meanwhile, Robert Bonnie has been selected by teammates to captain the 1988 Crimson team.

Hotchkin, who was also honored as first-team All-Ivy and All-New England this season, scored two goals and seven assists for 11 points in his senior season. The midfielder finished his Crimson career with 15 goals and 21 assists for 51 points.

"There's no question that of all players this year, Nick performed at a very high level," Harvard Coach Mike Getman said. "It's very nice that the other coaches recognized his talent."

The announcement marked the second consecutive year that a Harvard men's soccer player has been honored as All-America. Forward John Catliff was selected last season.

Bonnie, a dominating player in the air, was a backfield leader for the Crimson during the '87 season. The centerback had two goals and two assists (six points) and earned second-team All-Ivy honors this past season.

"When we lost [1987 Captain] Mark Pepper, who was going to be our leader in the back, Robert did a great job of stepping in," Getman said. "It's a natural transition that he was named captain for next year."

"I'm certain that Robert will make a superb captain," said outgoing Captain Pepper, who sat out most of this season with a quadricep injury.