60,000 Protest Refusenik Policy In D.C. March

By Jonathan S. Cohn, Wire Dispatches

Tens of thousands of marchers pressing for the free emigration of Soviet Jews beseeched Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to "let our people go" yesterday in the largest demonstration planned for this week's superpower summit.

Former Soviet refusniks now students at Harvard were among those participating in the Washington, D.C. march on "Freedom Sunday for Soviet Jews"--a nation-wide protest mounted by American Jews and other human rights activists on behalf of refuseniks who can't win government permission to emigrate.

Elen M. Roklina '88, who emigrated from the Soviet Union in 1978, said that she still has relatives in Russia who want to leave, and that she has little faith in Gorbachev and his policies.

"I don't believe that the former head of theKGB, the man responsible for the invasion ofHungary, could undergo such a change," saidRoklina. "I think he just became convinced a whileago to change his tactics. It's all just a means,and not an end itself."

"I think that Gorbachev has something up hissleeve," said Eli Kazhdan '91, another formerrefusenik, "Premiers in Russia don't get theirpositions by being nice guys."

Asya Rabinovich '91 said that she could notbelieve that Soviet refusenik policy wouldimprove, because reforms in the Soviet Union neverseem to last.

"It's just so easy to get rid of the changesafter they're made in the Soviet Union,"Rabinovich said.

During the three hour demonstration, theprotesters, which included an estimated 150Harvard students, carried signs asking "Where isglasnost for Soviet Jews?" and flags emblazonedwith the Star of David.

Led by author Elie Wiesel and Soviet emigreNatan Sharansky, some wielded haunting messages:"Free Meshkov." "What About the Khassins?" FreeGusak, Shostakovsky, Meiman--name after name ofindividuals and families refused permission toleave the Soviet Union.

President Reagan did not attend, but he pledgedhis support in a letter read at the rally.

"I have high hopes for new, forward steps bythe Soviets," Reagan wrote. "I shall press forthem in my talks with General Secretary Gorbachevin the coming days--for the release of allrefuseniks, for full freedom of emigration, andfor complete freedom of religion and culturalexpression. We shall not be satisfied with less."

All told, the march drew some 60,000 people,according to Sgt. Dennis Smith of the U.S. ParkPolice.

Among them were a sprinkling of presidentialcandidates, Republicans George Bush, Bob Dole andAlexander Haig and Democrat Al Gore.

"Not until all those Soviet Jews who wish toleave have the right to do so, can we expect tocall "glasnost" a true openess in Soviet policy,"Haig said.

Among the politicians at the march was Rep.Melvyn Dymally, D-Calif., chairman of theCongressional Black Caucus.

"It's important for black Americans to identifywith the Jewish cause for human rights," saidDymally.

While Jews and blacks differ on the question ofa homeland for Palestinians, he said, "There isunanimous support for this whole question ofemigration and human rights...The CongressionalBlack Caucus are probably the most loyal membersas far as human rights and Soviet Jewry."

Soviet restrictions on emigration have easedsomewhat in recent months but it is estimated thatsome 40,000 people are trying unsuccessfully toleave the country. Gorbachev has said statesecurity is the only basis on which people arerefused exit visas