Hayes, W. Cagers Snag Harvard Invitational

By Neil A. Cooper

Most coaches are happy when their teams play up to potential. And most are ecstatic when their players give 100 percent every game.

But there aren't many coaches who have a chance to dream that their team will play at a level that exceeds even their own expectations.

Now Harvard women's basketball Coach Kathy Delaney Smith has the opportunity not only to dream, but also to see her dreams unfold into reality. Her players presented her with a fifth straight win this past Saturday by defeating a tough Farleigh Dickinson squad at Briggs Athletic Center.

The Crimson (now 5-0) overcame a first-half let-down to run away with the final game of the seventh annual Harvard Women's Basketball Invitational, 89-68. Harvard was led by Tri-Captain Sharon Hayes, who netted a game-high 21 points and broke the school's all-time scoring mark by recording her 1034th point.

Hayes popped a 15-ft. jumper from the left side of the foul line to break the previous Harvard record of 1033 points set by Elaine Holpuch '83. Hayes, a senior forward, snared the record with just under two minutes remaining in the game.

"We really concentrate on the team effort, [but] that's an outstanding achievement for her," Delaney Smith said.

Delaney Smith said she was not aware that Hayes would break the record with her next basket and took her out of the game. But after Hayes's teammates screamed, Delaney Smith put the senior back into the game to give her a chance to can the necessary hoop.