Kemp Denies Religious Bias

Candidate Apologizes for Aide's Anti-Semitic Statements

WALTHAM--Republican presidential candidate Jack Kemp apologized yesterday to students at Brandeis University for anti-semitic and anti-Catholic writings and remarks made by one of the congressman's national committee co-chairmen.

Kemp's appearance at Brandeis University came a day after Rev. Tim LaHaye resigned as a Kemp national co-chairman because of public outrage at the evangelist's criticisms of Jews and Catholics.

"I am sorry about the incident, it's over and I'd like to get on to bigger and better things," Kemp said to the packed audience. "I have said over and over again that there is no place in my campaign for any religious or any racial or any ethnic prejudice or bias or joke-telling."

On a day in which five of the 12 candidates for president were in the Boston area, the New York congressman drew the largest crowd and the most media attention following the difficulties that have slowed his campaign this week.

Kemp received a warm reception from a group of Brandeis students who carried banners and praised his pro-Israel, policies. But inside a packed student hall he faced questions about LaHaye's remarks and his failure to immediately condemn LaHaye. An estimated 65 percent of the students at Brandeis are Jewish.

Kemp said he would accept LaHaye's resignation and disassociated himself from the evangelist's writings and those of LaHaye's wife. "Should he be allowed to resign? Yes," Kemp said. "Should I pounce on them? No."

LaHaye has called Catholicism a "false religion" because of the dominance of the papacy in Rome. In a 1985 book, LaHaye blamed the crucifixion of Jesus Christ on the Jews.

Israel

LaHaye's wife, Beverly, who has written that only Christians are fit to hold office, will remain as campaign co-chairman; but LaHaye said she would resign if her presence caused Kemp further political problems. Timothy LaHaye has said his writings were taken out of context.

Throughout his appearance, Kemp, 52, touched on Jewish and Israeli issues.

He said Israel should not "give up one inch" of territory to neighboring Arab nations until it receives assurances of peace. He said World War II and much of Adolph Hitler's campaign to annihilate the Jewish race could have been thwarted by greater military preparedness in the West.

Kemp referred to the celebrated Dreyfus affair in France before World War I that involved a Jewish officer of the French army accused of treason against France. And he reminded the audience that he was on hand in Washington earlier this week at the rally urging the Soviet Union to free Jews held in that country against their will.

Kemp appeared nervous and spoke rapidly through the first half of his appearance. At one point he stopped himself, apologized and said, "I'm speaking too quickly." Later he appeared to relax and exchanged jokes and barbs with some of the students.

Kemp also talked about his opposition to the treaty signed yesterday by President Reagan and Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev that will eliminate short-and intermediate-range missiles from Europe.

Until the Soviet Union pulls out of Afghanistan, stops supplying arms to Cuba and allows for greater freedom at home, the United States should hold back from signing any accords, he said.