Police Accountability

Civilian R3eview Board

CAMBRIDGE, the nuclear-free, rent-controlled city, furthered its tradition of populist government last week. It became the first city in the Northeast to have a functioning Civilian Review Board (CRB) authorized to evaluate police conduct.

Although the Board's tasks and goals are not yet clearly defined last week's first meeting was a clear sign of progress in the area of police accountability.

The CRB was established two and a half years ago in response to charges of racist police conduct. That the initial meeting was so long in coming is unfortunate. But with its recently appointed executive director, its full membership, and a substantial budget, the Board looks as if it is here to stay.

The five-member board is now ready to investigate formal complaints; it plans to run advertisements and to hold an open house for city officials to publicize its now full-fledged existence. Although no complaints have been received as of yet, we wonder how many potential cases of police misconduct have gone unnoticed during the two and a half year gap between the Board's creation and its first meeting.

The lengthy delays were closely tied to objections and pressure from a few city officials and the upper ranks of the police force, who consider the CRB meddlesome and unnecessary. Their delay tactics and objections, however, are short-sighted and inappropriate.

The police, a municipal agency whose task it is to enforce the law, must also be subject to the law's restraints. The police better serve their community when they work as an accountable part of it. And the existance of the Civilian Review Board can only further Cambridge's confidence in the caliber and performance of its police force.

The military has long accepted the necessity of civilian review, but the leaders of the Cambridge police have not followed suit. Instead, they insist that they can and should operate independently of the citizens they serve.

Serious charges of racist behavior on the part of the police also remain unresolved. In November, for instance, an Iranian student claims he was assaulted and harassed during an arrest. And the incident that sparked the formation of the body two and a half years ago, the arrest of eight Black youths, has yet to be adequately explained.

We hope that, before long, the responsible work of the Board will satisfy the police' s qualms and instill confidence in the civilian review process. The Board is a valuable addition to Cambridge government.