ACLU Associate Starts Work

Group to Sponsor Speech Series

A Cabot House sophomore is forming a new student organization that will be associated with the Civil Liberities Union of Massachusetts (CLUM) and will address general issues of civil liberties.

Gregory G. Nadeau '89 said that he has already discussed the group's formation with several members of CLUM, an affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union. The proposed organization would operate in connection with a similar one formed at the Law School earlier this year, he said.

The group will sponsor a series of speeches centered on such issues as drug testing, censorship, and gay rights, said Nadeau, adding that he will hold an organizational meeting on February 25.

Nadeau said he hopes the topics will be broad enough to attract members from other prominent groups on campus, including the Gay and Lesbian Student Association, the Black Students Association, Democratic club and Republican Club.

Requirements

"The issues they will address are very important to the community no matter where your political place is because civil liberties are the core of university life," said Dean of Students Archie C. Epps, who said he can not officially recognize the club until it has 10 members, a constitution, and a budget.

"We will try to work with them as much as possible," said Noah M. Berger '89, president of the Democratic Club. He said he thought the proposed club was a "great idea."

Kris Kobach '88, president of the Republican Club, said he hopes the new organization will "find ways to have a real impact on freedom of speech for all points of view." He said that conservative speakers such as Casper W. Weinberger '38, had been harassed by students when lecturing at Harvard.