Square Theater Assumes New 'Artsy' Atmosphere

There will be no Rambo at the Harvard Square Theater, instead, patrons will have to make do on croissants and espresso.

The Harvard Square Theater, which was purchased last November by the USA Cinema group, will begin running specialty art films under its new guise as a Nickelodeon Theater.

This purchase is part of USA's efforts to "start a Nickelodeon circuit nationwide to run art-speciality films," said Loretta Cuberley, USA's vice-president for publicity. In the past two years, USA has also acquired the Janus Theater in Cambridge and the Nickelodeon in Boston and constructed the Copley Place Cinema.

The Nickolodeon joins a market already full of theaters running "artsy" or classic films. The recently reopened Brattle Street Theater has a commitment to show mainly classic and foreign films and the Janus Theater shows classic and popular films.

The Harvard Square Theater has been at its Church Street venue since 1927 and has been remodeled three times, said Dan Griesmer, a cashier at the theater and its self-appointed historian.On a typical Friday or Saturday night about 3500people will catch a show, he added.

Since the marquee was changed earlier thismonth to include the new Nickolodeon name, therehave been some changes at the theater. Admissionhas increased by 50 cents to $5.50, and there areno more double features.

For the present, however, there will not be anydramatic changes in the docket of films, accordingto Cuberley. Such first-run films as Platoon and RadioDays, which are currently being shown, areconsidered sufficiently "artsy," Cuberley said.

USA is planning on "changing the atmospherewithout changing the movies," said Griesmer. Thenew owners plan to install a "state of the artconcession stand." This modern stand will includean espresso machine, Emack and Bolio's ice cream,and an outlet of the Au Bon Pain chain. Suchconcessions already exist at their Copley cinema.

Some Harvard students reacted favorably to thetransformation of the theater and its insistenceon playing "artsy" films. "I'm glad that they willonly show quality films instead of the mindlessHollywood rubbish that is normally put out," saidJ. William G. Chettle '89.

USA is presently trying to copyright theNickelodeon name in hopes of completing theirnational campaign. But Cuberley said that this"transition period will take a long time