Glee Club to Sing Anthem At Hockey Tournament

By Brooke A. Masters

When the Soviet Union's hockey team faces off against the stars of the National Hockey League, the Harvard Glee Club will also be facing off--against the Red Army Chorus.

The 56-member all-male chorus has been invited to sing "The Star Spangled Banner" at the opening ceremonies of "Rendezvous '87," a round-robin hockey tournament in Quebec which pits American and Canadian all-stars against one another and the Soviet Union's national hockey team.

The tournament, which will be broadcast nationwide on the cable network ESPN, is part of Quebec's annual winter carnival. Television coverage will begin at 7 p.m. Wednesday night.

About 100 members of the 175-man Red Army Chorus have been invited to sign the Soviet national anthem, and a Canadian group from Quebec City will perform "O Canada."

"It gives us a good chance to do something patriotic," said Nicholas M. Hatzis '88, Glee Club vice president. In addition, Hatzis said, the Glee Club is getting a junket for little work.

"They are providing everything for us and we really don't have to work that hard," Hatzis said. "All we have to do is sing a unison chorus of the national anthem."

The organizers of Rendezvous '87 have agreed to fly the Glee Club up to Quebec City by chartered jet on tomorrow evening, feed and house them, and fly them back after the hockey game on Wednesday, said Jameson N. Marvin, who conducts the Glee Club.

Glee Club members will also get a guided tour of Quebec City, and, of course, tickets to the hockey game. "All the tickets were sold, but they managed to get us some seats," Marvin said.

Glee Club officers said the television exposure makesthis gig particularly attractive. "It's a changeto perform in front of an international audience,"said Scott J. Swanay '88, president of the GleeClub