UC Elections Set to Begin

149 Students to Run for Council Seats

By Joseph C. Tedeschi

Randall T. Kempner '90 boasts "I have never had an extra-marital affair with Donna Rice. I never plagiarized a paper while in law school. And I don't even know how to spell Chappaquidick."

Yet, Kempner is not newly declared hopeful for the Democratic presidential nomination. He is one of 176 undergraduates who will be vying for the 89 seats on the Harvard and Radcliffe Undergraduate Council.

Elections will be held from October 7 to October 9 in all undergraduate dining halls during lunch and dinner hours and in Dudley House from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.

Members of the Council said the large field of candidates promises a hotly contested election week.

"I'm definitely happy about the election. It looks like one of the best ever," said incumbent Chairman Richard S. Eisert '88. "It averages out to about two people running for each slot, which is very solid."

Eisert points out, however, that a large number of candidates has its "bad side" for the council because "there are a lot of excellent people who can't get elected."

Chairman Eisert himself, who will be relinquishing the leadership gavel in favor of researching his senior thesis, will be involved in the race for this year's most sought after uperclass house seat. In Eliot House 15 candidates have entered the chase for five council positions.

Of the 176 candidates, 39 are incumbentsseeking reelection; "a very high number" claimsvice chairman of the council Amy B. Zegart '89,who has announced she will seek the chairmanshipthis year. Evan J. Mandery '89, chairman of theAcademics Committee, will also seek the Council'stop position