Racquetwomen Fall

By Lori J. Lakin

For Harvard's top women's squash player, the old notion of "history repeating itself" held true this weekend.

For the second year in a row, the Crimson's Diana Edge lost to Princeton's number one, Demer Holleran, in the finals of the Women's Intercollegiate Squash Championships, 16-18, 12-15, 15-7, 10-15. Edge finished second overall in the tournament.

Seventy-five spectators at Hemenway Gymnasium watched Edge and Holleran trade points in a fierce battle for the first game, with Holleran barely coming out on top, 18-16.

Edge dropped the next game, 15-12, to the top-seeded Holleran but rebounded for a 15-7 decision in the third.

Holleran, who had previously lost only two other intercollegiate games this season (against Brown's number one, Sue Cutler, in Ivy play and Harvard's number two, Ingrid Boyum, in the tourney semi-finals), defeated Edge, 15-10, in the fourth game to defend her title.

"I was happy to be watching, rather than playing either one of them," Harvard Coach Steve Piltch said while presenting the first- and second-place awards to Holleran and Edge.

"With one or two shots the other way, Diana could have won the match--she played as well as she's played all season," Piltch said later.

Crimson Co-Captain Boyum plowed through the first four rounds of the tournament, reaching the main draw semi-finals before losing to Holleran, 6-15, 14-18, 15-12, 5-15.

Boyum, a senior, dropped her next contest--the final official intercollegiate match of her career--to Trinity's number one, Sophie Porter, 3-0, and finished fourth overall in the tourney.

"I find it hard to play well after I've already lost once in a day," Boyum said. "I didn't feel like I had the fire underneath me today. [Porter] played very well."

The Crimson's number three, Jenny Holleran, breezed through her first two rounds--crushing Williams' Allison Buckner and Wellesley's Lacy Chylack, each in three straight games.