Revolution Books Loses Square Lease

Revolution Books, which specializes in feminist, Marxist and Third World literature, will be moving from its Arrow Street location because its landlord has decided not to renew the store's lease, according to a worker at the Cambridge bookstore.

The landlord, Peter Wasserman Associates of Cambridge, has offered to relocate the book vendor to another spot in the same building, said Peter Wasserman. Revolution Books was asked to move to that another stores can expand, he added.

Workers at the store, which has occupied its current location for about three years, said Revolution may accept Wasserman's offer or move elsewhere in Cambridge.

Advantage Hair Stylists will expand into the site of the bookstore in June.

"We were just offered the space from the landlord. It's great that we are expanding," said a worker at Advantage Hair Stylists, adding, "We've been very busy; business is great. But as far as I know, Revolution Books has been doing pretty well also."

"Festoon Records on the corner gave notice that they were moving in December so we offered that space to Revolution Books. I was not aware they were considering leaving the area. I only want a situation best for everyone. It's like musical clients," said Wasserman.

"We are not being forced to move; it's no big deal. I hope we stay around here," said Scott Gilbert, a Volunteer a Revolution Books.

Many loyal customers of Revolution Books hope they will stay near the Square. "I'd rather buy my books there than get a 10 percent discount at the Coop. They're cool," said a Harvard student who frequents the bookstore.

Aside from its position as the only Cambridge bookstore which carries books on Latin America, African and the Lesbian movement, Revolution Books is also unique because its entire staff is made up of volunteers.