Spence Statement

Statement released yesterday by Dean of the Faculty A. Michael Spence:

After consulting with the Faculty Council and hearing preliminary reports from College officials, I have decided to ask the Administrative Boards of the College and the Graduate School to review the events that took place in the Science Center on Tuesday evening, March 24, during the meeting sponsored by the Conservative Club. The boards will review the reports of College officials and the University police. If it is determined that College rules or standards were violated, the boards will take appropriate disciplinary action.

The attached statement, issued by the South African Solidarity Committee (sic) on March 24, contains views with which I strongly disagree. This statement of views may or may not bear any relation to the actual events. The Administrative Boards will decide that. But the argument that one can block certain exits so as to force an individual to proceed into a hostile and largely uncontrolled environment, with unpredictable consequences, and at the same time claim that no relevant infringement of freedom of movement is entailed, is neither logical nor acceptable in my judgement. Therefore, whatever the appropriate disposition of this incident based upon the events themselves, I hope that a clear rejection of this proposed addition to the right of protest emerges from the discussion.