Flynn to Face Little Opposition in '87 Race

By Katherine E. Bliss

Boston Mayor Raymond Flynn has given city residents something they haven't seen in at least a decade: an honest term in office.

Flynn's conversion of the mayorship from a disreputable office to an honest one, indeed, is what political consultant Michael Goldman sees as Flynn's strongest contribution to Boston during his first term.

"The most important thing Flynn has done is to have been someone who could govern without corruption," Goldman said, adding, "Even those who are not satisfied with Flynn feel he has been honest."

While charges of corruption against his predecessor opened the door of the mayor's office for Flynn, this year political observers expect few controversial issues to unseat the incumbent.

Lawrence S. Di Cara '71, a Boston real estate lawyer and 1983 mayoral candidate, attributed Flynn's success to his "down to earth" personality and to the fact that his populist leanings contrast sharply with the policies of his predecessor, Kevin White.

Blue Collar

"Flynn is not just another upper class mayor," Di Cara said. "He doesn't wear bow ties, he doesn't court reporters, he doesn't associate only with the famous folk."

Goldman echoed Di Cara's contrast of Flynn and his predecessor. "If Kevin White is the L.A. Lakers, then Flynn is the Boston Celtics, down to earth and blue collar. What could be better than that? The general public thinks Flynn is doing a good job."

In addition to crediting Flynn with bringing new respect to the mayor's office, Goldman, as well as Di Cara and aides to the mayor, said he has alleviated city unemployment and encouraged development.

According to Di Cara, a real estate lawyer, Flynn has been very pro-development. "There are virtually no unemployed construction workers in the city," he said.

Flynn's aides said the main disappointment of Flynn's administration has been the cut in federal funds allocated to the city. "We had a 75% cut in federal funds for housing, which meant more homeless for the city," an aide said.

Despite this setback Di Cara and Goldman said that Flynn has had a good first term in office and as a result will face little opposition.

Di Cara said that while Flynn may have an opponent, "the city is doing so well economically that people are happy and will stick with what they've got."

"There will be some token competition," said Goldman, who said Joseph Kaspar, who represents South Boston on the city's school board, and Joseph Tierney, a city councilman, are two who may oppose Flynn.

Flynn has not formally announced his candidacy, but said in 1983 that he would only seek two terms of office.