Grapplers Advance One To National Competition

Harvard wrestling Co-Captain Steve Farrell was the lone wrestler to advance to NCAA action following the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Championships held this past weekend at Princeton, N.J.

Ups and Downs

Farrell, seeded fourth in the 177-lb. weight class, won his opening two bouts--over Yale's Arjun Heimsath and Cornell's Mike Salem--before bowing to top-seeded Eyvind Boyesen in the semifinals, 18-5.

After winning his first wrestleback, 9-0, Farrell advanced to the consolation finals--where he defeated Chris Hiros of Rutgers, 9-4, to claim third place and a trip to the NCAA Championships, to be held at the University of Maryland March 21-22.

The top three wrestlers in each weight class and four wild card selections qualify for NCAA competition. Last season Harvard heavyweight Kevin Wattles snagged a wild card bid, but was ousted in the first round of nationals.

Nine Harvard grapplers competed in the tournament, which was won by Army. Three Crimson wrestlers--Pete Holmes, Kevin McGinty and Kelly Flynn--won their first-round bouts in the consolation bracket, but failed to place in the tourney.