UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

CLASS CUTS

Student! protest over racism at the University of Michigan has led to new resolutions by administrators intended to improve race relations on campus. The Michigan Daily reported.

Among the administration's resolutions in the wake of a student blockade of an administration building are the establishment of a $35,000 annual budget for the Black Student Union and the implementation of a method for collecting data about racial incidents.

Other resolutions include the formation of an anti-racial harassment policy, and the creation of budgetary incentives to attract minority faculty members, The Daily reported.

With the resolutions, the university hopes to attract a number of Blacks proportionate of the 12.9 percent Black population of the state of Michigan.

During the recent protests, students complained that the university reneged on its 1970 promise to attract and maintain a 10 percent minority enrollment.

The Board of Regents also decided to award an honorary degree to Black South African leader Nelson Mandela, an action that anti racist organization had long wanted.

Because Mandela is imprisoned in South Africa and cannot attend commencement exercises, awarding the degree to him caused much debate among the regent, who said their decision to award the degree was unconnected to recent anti-racist protests. The Daily reported.

On the same day that University President Harold Shapiro announced the new resolutions, the Reverend Jesse Jackson spoke at the University, lauding the administration's attempts to end racism.

Jackson cited declining Black enrollment at universities such as Harvard, Princeton and the University of Chicago as evidence that higher education lack a commitment to abolishing racial discrimination in education.

More than 250 students, including members of the United Coalition Against Racism, Last month staged a 24-hour blockade of an administration building and chained the building's doors so that workers could not enter. After university security official entered the building by underground steam tunnels and locked protests our, the activists decided to storm a meeting of the University Regents. BOSTON UNIVERSITY

Silber Will Take Six-Month Sabbatical

Boston University (BU) President John Silber this week announced a decision to take a six-month sabbatical leave beginning this summer, the university announced.

Silber, whose announcement was a surprise to many observers, has earned a controversial reputation for his maverick stances on a range of social issues. This week abortion rights activist Bill Baird called for Silber's resignation following a televised debate between the two about "safe sex" kits.

Silber is planning to use his sabbatical to study issues such as AIDS, which he says will "inevitably shape the future of this country," The Associated Press reported. COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY

School Considers Afro-Am. Concentration

Columbia College officials are considering the introduction of an Afro-American studies major that could accept students as early as next fall, but new demands from a committee that is lobbying for the concentration may delay the plan's completion, The Columbia Spectator reported.

Student members of the Interdepartmental Committee for Afro-America Studies have made demands on behalf of an antiracist group that formed after racial incidents rocked the campus late last month.

The demands of the Concerned Black Students of Columbia (CBSC), taken up by student members of the committee, include the expulsion of students involved in the confrontation, an increase in minority student enrollment, and a 50 percent increase in the number of Black faculty.

According to The Spectator, officials appear to be opposed to the new demands, saying that the issues the CBSC has raised are separate from potential changes in the curriculum. UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

Application Rise Stuns Administrators

In an increase that surprised top administrators, the University of Chicago this year received 25 percent more applicants than it did last year, and can now afford to be more selective than in recent years, The Chicago Maroon reported.

The problem that admission officers face in choosing from among this year's 3250 applicants is exacerbated by the university's need to reduce its class size from about 860 to 800, said Dean of Admissions Daniel Hall.

Reasons for admitting a smaller number of students to the class of 1991 include a housing shortage and potential cuts in the university faculty, according to The Maroon.

In the past four years, a growing number of students have decided to live in university housing, said Dean of the College Donald Levine.

Despite these problems, administrators said they are pleased with the increase in applications and believe it reflects an improvement in the institution's image and environment. BROWN UNIVERSITY

Senior To Face Three Felony Charges

A Brown University student who ran over and killed a pedestrian last November now faces three felony charges, The Brown Daily Herald reported.

Following the death of 64-year-old Albert Pantalina, senior Mark Miller faces charges of driving to endanger, driving under the influence of alcohol, and reckless driving with death resulting.

Miller, who pleaded not guilty at his arraignment late last month, is scheduled to go on trial on June 29.

A pre-trial conference will take place in May, at which Miller may be able to change the date of his trial. He may choose to be tried by a jury or a judge, state officials said.

Providence policemen said Miller was driving at 65 miles per hour in a 25-mile-per-hour area when he hit Pantalina, who died instantly. Miller and his two-companions received minor injuries in the crash, The Herald reported.