Firepower Found

Men's Lacrosse

At the beginning of the season, Harvard men's lacrosse Coach Bob Scalise had some doubts about his team's firepower. While seemingly secure on defense, he didn't know if he could make up for the scoring punch of Rufus Clark and Tom Corcoran--both of whom were lost to graduation.

Men's Lacrosse

1986 record: 9-5

1987 record to date: 7-1, 2-1 Ivy

(three Ivy games remaining)

But at least in the early part of the season, Scalise's fears have been eased, as a strong defense has encouraged the offense to come through with explosive fury.

Already the laxmen have defeated one squad that finished ahead of them in last year's national poll (C.W. Post) and are looking to surpass their number 15 ranking of one year ago.

The Crimson also would like an Ivy League title. If Scalise is going to win one, it must be this season, as he has announced his retirement effective June 1.

Regardless of whether the squad is trying harder for its departing coach, it appears as though Harvard is a good lacrosse team with the potential of becoming better.

Youth dominates the team, as many of players--especially in the attack positions--saw only limited action on the 1986 squad.

But there is solid leadership in Co-Captains Martin Garcia and Ben Nye, as well as in another senior who has come back from a year off to sparkle--goalie Mike Bergmann. Last year, Crimson goalie Mark Vita was named first team All-Ivy. This year, Bergmann could duplicate feat.

Bergmann's chief help on defense comes from Rob Graff, Rich van den Broek, Chris Bentley and Perry Dodge. By consistently keeping opponents under 10 goals per game, the Harvard defense has taken pressure off the scorers while they adjust to new faces.

Ironically, one of the best defensive efforts so far came in the squad's only loss--a 12-5 drubbing to Cornell. Despite the unfavorable outcome, Dodge and Graff were able to contain All-America attack Tim Goldstein, allowing him to score only a single goal in the contest.

Several players have emerged to take over for the graduate scorers of last year. Sophomores Steve Lux and Brad Raymond--who both copped Ivy League Rookie of the Week awards during 1986--have found the net with increasing frequency in this year's opening contests, a good sign for the success of future teams.

Chris Garvey, a junior transfer, has also pitched in to fill the scoring vacuum efficiently. In addition, Nick Nero, Rob Griffith and Dean Graham all return. The Harvard women's lacrosse team battles George Mason last year.