Flug Made Senior Tutor At Winthrop

By Brooke A. Masters

The current acting senior tutor at Winthrop House, Christine M. Flug, has been appointed to fill that position permanently, College officials announced this week.

Flug, who currently teaches Expository Writing 17: "The Theory and Practice of Writing," has been an assistant senior tutor since 1982, and she became the acting senior tutor since last July when Lee M. Pelton left to be dean of students at Colgate University.

College officials have been conducting a search for a permanent replacement for Pelton since the fall.

"She was a candidate for the position, and the house felt very strongly and endorsed her," said Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57. "I was very pleased.

As senior tutor, Flug's responsibilities include academic advising for Winthop House students and serving on the Administrative Board.

"I love [being the senior tutor.] It's a wonderful job," the Connecticut native said. "You get a lot of satisfaction from working with students."

Winthrop House Master James A. Davis said he was pleased by Flug's permanent appointment. "She's done a really good job. She's conscientious, cheerful and interested in individual people," he said.

Flug last year received her PhD. in English and American Literature from Harvard.