Aquawomen Clubbed at Eastern Tourney

Crimson Has Trouble With Club Teams; Finishes 11th in Championships

By Alvar J. Mattei

Going into last weekend's Eastern tournament in Bucknell, Pa., the Harvard women's water polo team was unbeaten in varsity competition. It was against club teams--those with no eligibility requirements--that the Crimson was having trouble.

And in an field of mostly of club teams, the aquawomen had trouble once again. Harvard finished 11th in a 12-team field in the first-ever Eastern championships. The Crimson failed to win a contest in the three-day tournament.

"There's a dilemma now with club teams," said Harvard Coach Chris Haggerty. "Myself and the coach from Slippery Rock are trying to encourage a strictly undergraduate competition."

But Harvard had its moments in the tournament. "We swam really hard," said Co-Captain Leslie Barbi. "We have a really inexperienced team, with a lot of freshmen and sophomores, and when mistakes are made against teams like Sports Fest [the National Sports Festival development team], they count."

"In all our games we had good stretches," Haggerty said.

THE NOTEBOOK: Harvard's next tournament will be this weekend at MIT. The Crimson will face Brown in the opening game at 6 p.m. Friday, with contests scheduled against the University of Massachusetts and MIT at 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. Saturday...Harvard is 2-0 against Brown, 0-1-1 against MIT, and will meet UMass for the first time this season.