SAC Commends Writers For Political Journalism

By James H. Colopy

The Student Advisory Committee of the Institute of Politics yesterday announced the winners of the third annual Harvard Political Journalists of the Year Awards, with three writers for The Harvard Crimson capturing the top prizes.

Michael D. Nolan '88 won the opinion/commentary category, and Jonathan M. Moses '88 and Jess M. Bravin '87 tied for first in the reporting category.

The awards recognize articles written in 1986 by Harvard journalists that show outstanding coverage and analysis of campus, local, national and international events.

The judging panel was composed of IOP Fellows and journalists from news agencies such as Time magazine and The Boston Globe.

The winners will receive a week-long journalism externship, and will attend an IOP dinner to be held in their honor.

Nolan, editorial chairman of the Crimson, wrote his award-winning article about Harvard's denial of tenure to Associate Professor of History Bradford A. Lee.

Bravin's winning article was a four-part series written during an internship at the Chicago Tribune last summer. The series examined last year's controversy over the training of members of El Salvador's armed forces at Northwestern University.

Moses, managing editor of The Crimson, won first-prize for his two-part report last November about government sponsorship of university research.

Bravin, former assistant editor of the What Is To Be Done?. The Crimson's weekly magazine, also received an honorable mention for an article written last April discussing the socio-political climate in Bermuda.