Kemp Hits the Campaign Trail

Stresses Familiar Themes at Buffalo Fundraiser

BUFFALO, N.Y.--Rep. Jack Kemp started his campaign for president surrounded by his former Buffalo Bills pro football teammates and espousing familiar themes: full employment, reduced taxes and a strong defense.

The Republican lawmaker returned for a fund-raising dinner Monday in his congressional district outside Buffalo after announcing his candidacy earlier in the day in Washington, D.C., and making appearances in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

Kemp, whose economic ideas are considered models for many of those adopted by the Reagan administration, stressed full employment, reduced taxes, the Stretegic Defense Initiative and support for those "struggling against the Soviet colonial empire."

He said the three main goals of his presidency would be to defend freedom, strengthen the family and to fight a war on poverty that "I think we can win."

Kemp joined former Gov. Pete du Pont of Delaware and former Secretary of State Alexander M. Haig Jr. as announced Republican candidates. Vice President George Bush, Senate GOP leader Bob Dole of Kansas, former Sen. Paul Laxalt of Nevada and the Rev. Pat Robertson also are expected to run.

The 600 people at Monday's $600-per-person dinner included many who were there when Kemp, now 51, entered politics after a seven-year career as a quarterback for the Bills.

About a dozen of his teammates on the American Football League championship teams of 1964 and 1965 watched a five-minute film showing highlights from Kemp's playing days.

Kemp said his football days taught him "to look at problems as opportunities and to look at challenges in a way of confidence" and that he would take that approach into the campaign.