Spectacular' Raft Race Planned for Late April

By Susanna L. Blumenthal

While the streets of Cambridge are turning into rivers, plans are underway to turn this year's annual Raft Race on the Charles at the end of the month into an even splashier event.

"We decided we wanted to make the raft race a bigger and more spectacular event this year," said race committee co-chair Mike N. Druckman '87. "We just thought there was a potential to make it much better."

Druckman and Undergraduate Council member Steve F. Grover '89 received $2700 from the council and clearance to head a committee to plan the race on April 26, which was traditionally run by Adams House.

This year's event will include a tug-of-war competition and an air band lip sync contest in addition to the main raft race. A live band and dunk tank are also in the works, although organizers said they are having difficulty finding volunteers for the latter.

"[President] Derek Bok rejected us. Ralph Nader has yet to respond. We didn't even try to get Secretary of Education William Bennett," Grover said.

A crowd of 2000 spectators is expected to line the banks of the Charles this year, about twice the number who attended last spring's race.

At least one raft per house is anticipated to enter the race and yardlings are also encouraged to compete under the guidance of the Freshman Council, Grover said. Most houses will simply upgrade last year's vessels, he added.

In addition, the planning committee is inviting extra-curricular groups to pay the $50 entry fee and compete in the three contests, Grover said.

And the raft entries had better be creative. Trophies will be offered for those judged most unique. Prizes slated for the winners of each contest include Elvis Costello tickets, a keg of beer and food.

But, Grover said, the raft race will still remain the focus of the day, and according to the somewhat bizarre regulations of the race, second place will still be the winning spot.

Referring to that offbeat ruling, Grover said, "That way when they get to the finish line it's more of a nautical brawl. That's more exciting for the participants and the spectators."