Crowding in Houses to Ease in '87-88

By Brooke A. Masters

College officials yesterday predicted that overcrowding in the houses will be alleviated next year as Quad renovations and the new affiliate housing program open up more space on campus.

An additional 89 students will be able to live on campus next fall because the Quad renovations will be completed and one block of Jordan will be converted into flow-over Quad housing, said Assistant Dean for the House System Thomas A. Dingman'67.

Most of the new space will be in North House, where the renovations have added rooms in Moors and Holmes Halls. North House students displaced by the construction this year lived in the Botanical Gardens.

In addition, 22 North and Currier residents will be placed in the Jordan Cooperatives as only one of the three buildings will be used for cooperative living next year, said Housing Officer Lisa M. Colvin. This year Currier students are living in Jordan W, but the other two units function as coops.

Not only will more space be available next year, but fewer people will be living in it. So far, the total number of students who can request housing in the residential houses for next year is 41 fewer than are eligible this year, Dingman said.

And as many as 30 students are expected to move out of the residential housesinto nearby apartments as part of the College'snew affiliate housing plan, which offers affiliatehousing at subisidized rents.

College officials said they are working toinsure that the some houses are not affected morethan others by an unexpected housing crunch.

"We've asked the houses that share ClaverlyHall [Adams, Lowell and Quincy] to set aside fourspaces each for the College to use in the event ofovercrowding," Colvin said. Officials said theywill use these 12 spots to relieve crowding inwhatever houses are most tightly packed.

Although the College housed some Winthrop andEliot House students in the Yard this year,officials said they have no plans to continueusing freshmen dormitories next year.

"We have gone a long way to solving thecrowding problem," Dingman said.

But, as Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57said, "You never know until the last day whenstudents arrive.