S. Korean Protests Get More Serious

Leaders Say Government Must Enact Reforms or Face Demonstrations

SEOUL, South Korea--Following massive and violent pro-democracy demonstrations across the country, opposition leaders today called on the government to make concessions or face more and escalating protests.

Friday's nationwide marches, which turned into running battles when police attacked demonstrators with tear gas and truncheons, continued in scattered areas into the early hours of yesterday.

Top dissident Kim Dae-jung issued a statement terming Friday's protests--among the most extensive in 2 weeks of daily demonstrations--a "great success." He warned the government "to reflect in the face of this gigantic determination and action of the people."

Kim Tae-ryong, a spokesman for the main opposition Reunification Democratic Party, vowed that if reforms are not initiated, the party will abandon civil disobedience and "switch to a line of decisive struggle." He did not elaborate.

By midmorning yesterday, the traffic-clogged streets of Seoul appeared back to normal after hours of clearing away debris from the clashes. Shopowners and residents hosed down sidewalks and walls in an effort to wash away the lingering effects of the powerful tear gas used extensively by police.

Government-guided newspapers called for a resumption of talks between opposition and government leaders in an effort to end the growing confrontation and violence, but little ground for compromise was evident.

Massive anti-government protest erupted Friday in 37 cities and continued early today in areas of Seoul and the cities of Kwangju, Chonju and Masan.

An estimated 200,000 people marched through the cities shouting "Democracy now!" and demanding the ouster of President Chun Doohwan, a former army general.

Police blasted protesters with tear gas, and students hurled firebombs and rocks.

Authorities said 39 police stations, 20 vehicles and six government office facilities were burned or damaged overnight.

Police said 3467 people were detained. But 2665 of them were released after being warned to avoid future protests.

The report said 573 police were injured. There was no word on civilian casualties, but they were believed heavy because many people were seen hurt by police firing tear gas canisters or by squads trained in martial arts who pounded demonstrators with fists and feet.

The 200,000 figure was based on domestic news reports from across the country and estimates by witnesses in the street. Government estimates were much smaller, while opposition figures far higher.

Although police prevented protesters from mobilizing into the "grand peace march" called for by the opposition, its leaders declared a major victory.

Kim Young-sam, leader of the Reunification Democratic Party, called Friday's protest a success because student activists who lead the way were joined by many middle-class citizens.

While student radicals have long played lead roles in the anti-government protests, the growing support from other citizens, including members of the middle class, is relatively new.

Kim Young-sam's assertion appeared to be supported by police lists, which said that of the 58,000 people who took part in Friday's actions only 14,400 were students.

Kim, who was briefly detained during Friday's demonstration in Seoul, joined other party members Friday night in a sit-in at party headquarters.

Earlier this week, Kim Young-sam met with Chun to discuss the opposition's demands, but both leaders said little was accomplished.