Women Booters Prevail, 2-0

By Colin F. Boyle

They say that the best defense is a good offense. For the Harvard women's soccer team, the best offense comes from a good defense.

Led by goalie and Co-Captain Tracee Whitley, the Crimson shut out Holy Cross, 2-0, at Ohiri Field Saturday. Both goals were scored by junior forward Cathy Dawson and assisted by junior sweeper Andrea Montalbano.

Whitley has yet to surrender a goal in the Crimson's three contests this season.

"We can play with a little more confidence with Tracee in goal," said Coach Tim Wheaton, whose team improved to 3-0 on the year. "Most shots against us are taken from outside. We know that it will take an exceptional shot to score on Tracee from that far out."

Having Whitley in goal frees the Crimson fullbacks to attack more often and provide additional scoring power.

Getting Started

Dawson netted her first tally in the fifth minute of the second half. Montalbano attempted a shot which bounced off Crusader goalie Sarah Porell and deflected to Dawson, who finished off the play.

Dawson's second goal was a replica of her first. In the 30th minute of the half, Montalbano blasted a direct kick from the midfield line toward the goal, Porell knocked the ball back to Dawson, who deposited it in the net.

The Crimson controlled the tempo of the game against the more physical Holy Cross team (now 2-4-1.)

"They're a good strong team that plays hard with a lot of intensity," Wheaton said of the Crusaders.

The Crimson defense continually prevented Holy Cross from capitalizing on its opportunities. With a few minutes left in the game, a Crusader player broke through the Crimson defense and shot for the far side, but Whitley made a diving save to preserve her shutout.

THE NOTEBOOK: Senior Lori Barry and junior Allison Keenan were healthy enough to play in their first contests of the season.