House Votes to Create Ocean Policy Commission

Reps Worried About Pollution, Especially on East Coast

WASHINGTON--The House of Representatives, citing waves of pollution that forced some East Coast beaches to shut down this summer, yesterday agreed to the creation of a special commission to study and recommend changes in federal oceans policy.

"The time is now for a new look at our oceans," said Rep. Jim Saxton (R-N.J.). "We do need a master plan to protect our oceans."

The National Oceans Policy Commission would be charged with looking at problems such as pollution, coastal zone management, fisheries conservation and acid rain in the oceans and Great Lakes. It would recommend policy changes within two years.

The House approved the 17-member panel, which would cost about $2 million, by a vote of 311-93.

"Our oceans and Great Lakes are susceptible to a vast array of environmental, economic and political problems. Too often we find ourselves dealing with these problems on an individual basis without a clear-cut national policy or strategy," said Rep. William J. Hughes (D-N.J.).

House Merchant Marine and Fisheries Chairman Walter B. Jones (D-N.C.), chief sponsor of the bill to create the blue-ribbon commission, said the panel would "develop a vision for the future" in much the same way the Stratton Commission recommended policies that shaped ocean policy through the 1970s and into the 1980s.

That commission issued recommendations in 1969 that led to the establishment of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Coastal Zone Management Act of 1972 and the Marine Protection, Research and Sanctuaries Act of 1972.

Hughes and Saxton pointed to a series of pollution problems this summer that led to the closing of some New Jersey beaches, threatening the tourism and fishing industries as well as the environment.

"Along the East Coast we've had major problems with all kinds of trash and garbage slicks, plastic slicks, green tides, red tides, black tides, beach closings. You name it, we've had it along the East Coast because we've treated the ocean in many instances like a repository of last resort," Hughes said.

The House passed a similar Jonessponsored bill in 1983, but the Senate took no action on it.

Proponents are more optimistic this year because Sen. Lowell P. Weicker (R-Conn.) has introduced the oceans commission bill in the Senate. A hearing is expected this fall, said Weicker aide Hank Price.

The Reagan administration opposes the measure, saying it would duplicate the function of already established federal agencies that are developing ocean policies.

Despite administration objections, the House also approved reauthorization of the National Sea Grant College program that provides federal money for marine research projects.

The bill authorizes $44 million for fiscal year 1988, $58 million for 1989 and $64 million for 1990. The measure was approved 323-79.