Racquetwomen Win

By Martha C. Abbruzzese

The Harvard women's squash team crushed a weaker Penn squad, 8-1, to claim its fourth consecutive victory Saturday morning at Hemmenway Gymnasium.

The racquetwomen ran away with the match, winning all but the last contest.

"It was a good match," Harvard Captain Diana Edge said. "It is our only match in January, and though it wasn't our toughest match of the year it was a good preparation match."

"It was an excellent match, Harvard has an excellent team," said Penn Coach Anne Wetzel, whose team fell to 0-3 on the year. "Being in the Ivy League is tough."

Sophomore Marianna Chilton, Harvard's number four player, was the first to record a win, defeating Majar Paumgarten in three quick games, 15-6, 15-2, 15-4.

Next, Edge--the Crimson's number one--finished off Penn's Mary McGowan 15-3, 15-4, 15-6.

Senior Lucy Miller also had an impressive win, giving up only eight points en route to a 15-4, 15-2, 15-2 victory.

Freshmen Stephanie Clark and Daphne Onderdonk, playing numbers five and eight respectively, also won their contests in three straight sets.

The Crimson (4-0) will travel to New Haven February 5 to play in the Howe Cup, a seven-player tournament featuring the nation's best players. Harvard is the five-time Howe Cup champion.

"The Howe Cup is the biggest challenge of the year," sophomore Jenny Holleran said.

"Howe Cup is our next test," agreed Edge. "It is a a tough tournament with six matches over the weekend. We have a good chance if we all play well."