W. Harriers Dominate Greater Boston Races

The Harvard women's cross country team captured the Greater Boston Cross Country meet for the fourth consecutive season last weekend in Boston. The Crimson upset Boston College, the team favored to win the meet this year, 34-42.

The men's team placed second behind Northeastern, 51-42. They also finished in second place last year.

The trackwomen (9-0) ran aggressively, with 12 of its runners finishing among the first 25. The top five scores from each of the six squads participating in the meet were included in the final tabulation.

Leading the Crimson was sophomore Suzanne Jones, who finished fourth overall in the tournament. Jones ran the 3.1 mile race in 17 minutes and 11 seconds.

"Suzanne has been great," said Captain Katie Toner, who finished second for Harvard in 17:29.

Rose Snyder, who ran a 17:48, led all freshman runners. Juniors Romney Resney (17:41) and Tina Lount (17:50) ran fine races to round out Harvard's top five.

The victory, which came over an experienced Boston College squad with great depth, should give the the harriers a shot in the arm heading into the big "HYP" (Harvard-Yale-Princeton) meet in two weeks. The Crimson will be facing an experienced Yale team that placed second in the NCAA's last year.

Meanwhile, the men's team ran an excellent race to finish in second place for the second consecutive season. Ted Ullyot was the first Crimson runner in, finishing fifth overall with a time of 25:51 in the 5.2 mile race. Harvard's other top finishers were John Lewis (25:53), Brian Cann (26:01), Spencer Punter (26:22) and Tim Harte (26:50).

The harriers (8-4) next host the HYP meet October 21.