Stereo Store to Reopen Despite Fire Damage

Workers for Goodwin's Music Systems yesterday continued cleaning up from Wednesday morning's fire at 16-18 Eliot St.

Alan Goodwin, owner of the music store, said about half of his store's inventory was destroyed by the fire, which fire investigators said started in the back room of Stereo Lab Services. Ralph H. Spear, general manager for Goodwin's, said that despite the damage to the estimated $200,000 inventory, the store expects to be back in business, "hopefully sooner than a month."

Goodwin said the store would soon hold a fire sale of equipment that the eight workers had salvaged so far. Asked about insurance, Goodwin said his business' fire insurance had been cancelled two years ago because of the building's condition.

In business at his current location since 1981, Goodwin said he would first remove all that was left of value in the building so that he could begin looking for a new location.

The frame structure, which has been condemned by the city's Inspectional Services Department and is expected to be demolished, was built in the late 19th century to house undergraduates, according to yesterday's Boston Globe.

Representatives from Stereo Lab Services and the Roka Japanese Restaurant, both of which were damaged, could not be reached for comment. Both businesses remained closed yesterday.