UConn Cons W. Booters, 3-0

Huskie Thumping Drops Harvard's Spirits

By Colin F. Boyle

The weather may be improving, but the troubles keep continuing for the Harvard women's soccer team.

After dropping a 3-0 decision in the mud to Cornell Saturday, the Crimson fell, 3-0, yesterday to the University of Connecticut at the Connecticut Soccer Stadium in Storrs, Conn.

"I think that morale now is at an all-time low," Harvard Captain Amy Winston said. "We do realize that UConn is an excellent team. We just have to keep our heads and chins up."

Harvard came out strong at the start of the game and dominated play with strong ball-control and crisp passing.

"The first 20 minutes we controlled the ball, but we weren't really shooting," Harvard netminder Liz Wald said. "We dominated for the first 25 minutes."

But the Crimson (3-5, 0-1 Ivy League) couldn't put the ball in the UConn net, and before long, the Huskies had counterattacked and scored.

"We played the best soccer we have in a while," Harvard Captain Amy Winston said. "It looked great for the first 30 minutes and then they scored. And we reverted back to our old ways."

UConn (10-3-1) exploded for a pair of goals halfway through to take a lead that it never relinquished.

Christin Jamosky opened the scoring at 28:45 on a goal assisted by Kim Prutting. Just seven minutes later at 35:55, Huskie Donna Hornish netted another goal on an assist by Britton Arico.

"I came up with a couple of good saves in the game, but I felt I could have done a better job on the first two goals," Wald said.

Arico scored the final UConn goal in the second half at 53:22 on a header off a corner kick by Beth Greco. It was a nice-looking goal, and it put the Crimson away.

"The third goal buried us," Wald said. "It was a good goal, and there wasn't much time left. We haven't been scoring a lot of goals lately, so it's tough to fall behind."

The three-goal attack spoiled the efforts of Wald and the Harvard defense, which broke up several Huskie opportunities. Wald had to make nine saves in the game.

"We shut them down at some key moments," Wald said. "If it's 0-0 and you make a big save, the team can rally off it. But if you're down a few goals, it's much harder."

Harvard had its best scoring chance with just three minutes left in the game when senior forward Ally Keenan broke into the box and fired a quick shot for the upper corner.

Although a goal would not have affected the outcome of the game, it would have brightened the Crimson's spirits. But as Harvard's luck of late would have it, the shot, like many before it, went barely wide.

THE NOTEBOOK: UConn outshot the Crimson, 21-6, and had two corner kicks to Harvard's one...Huskie netminder Amy Miller had to make only two saves.