Krokodiloes Will Make Debut at Carnegie Hall

As the old story goes: what's the easiest way to get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

Or join the Krokodiloes.

The Harvard a capella group will perform at the venerable New York concert hall Sunday night in a concert to benefit the Interfaith Hunger Appeal.

The Kroks will be joined by the Princeton Tigertones and the Yale Whiffenpoofs. The Interfaith Hunger Appeal, a consortium of religious charities, will sponsor the concert, which is set for World Food Day. Actor Tony Randall will host the concert.

The Carnegie Hall ticket office reported that it has sold 176 of the 254 tickets it was given to sell. All remaining seats in the 2804-seat concert hall have been sold by the Interfaith Hunger Appeal, according to Jan C. Larsen '89, general manager of the Krokodiloes. Ticket prices range from $12.50 to $100, and all proceeds will go to the charity.

The concert was initiated by the Princeton Tigertones, who suggested it to the Interfaith Hunger Appeal last spring. Traditionally, the Harvard, Yale, and Princeton groups perform together at the Trilogy Concert at Princeton. "I guess they decided to do something bigger [this year]," Larsen said.

The three groups will perform separate sets and end together with a rendition of the spiritual, "By and By." The Krokodiloes will choose from the repertoire of swing, Jazz, and 50's songs which they perform at more than 80 concerts each year.

"This is a great chance for us to sing for charity, and also expose the world to this Ivy League tradition," said Larsen.

Larsen called the thrill of performing in Carnegie Hall "icing on the cake." And Krok Kevin M. O'Halloran '89 said he was "very excited. [Carnegie Hall] is certainly one of the greatest halls in the world."

The Interfaith Hunger Appeal has agreed to cover the singing groups traveling expenses. The Krokodiloes will also be sponsored by the Harvard Club of New York, Larsen said.