The Scouting Report

HARVARD

Quarterback: Rod Macleod had a rough time in his first varsity start last week against Boston University. He threw four first-half interceptions and fumbled at the four-yd. line. But he finished with decent numbers--17 completions in 28 attempts, 241 yards passing. Bad news: he may not play because of an ankle injury. Enter untested Tim Perry.

Running Backs: Senior Tony Hinz (broken hand) is not expected to play. His two-week absence has meant more carries for Art McMahon (126 yards rushing two weeks ago) and Jim Reidy (76 yards rushing and 97 yards receiving against Boston University). Reidy is explosive and durable--a hard guy to drag down on the first hit. He's only 5-ft., 9-in., but can bowl over big men.

Receivers: The Crimson has been blessed with a pair of fine receivers--Don Gajewski and Neil Phillips. Gajewski has caught 36 passes for 474 yards and four touchdowns. Phillips has caught 33 passes for 576 yards and three touchdowns. Phillips, a high school quarterback, finally got to throw a pass last week. Unfortunately, his pass was intercepted.

Offensive Line: This group is giving players like McMahon and Reidy a chance to shine. The veteran unit is led by guard Maurice Frilot, who sometimes opens holes the size of volcano mouths. His fellow linemen are tough and dependable.

Defensive Line: Last week, Don Peterson moved within one sack of tying Kevin Dulsky's record of 10. Forget Harvard's poor record. Peterson is still hustling. Senior Jim Bell, with 27 tackles, is the other dominant force on the line.

Linebackers: Greg Ubert has been the big play man for the Crimson 'D.' He leads the team in tackles with 67. Rick McIntire filled in for ailing Brian Burns last week, and played well. The question for the linebacking duo: will it be able to stop Brian Keys before Brian Keys stops it?

Secondary: Henry Olson was tested early--and burned early--against B.U. But then he, like his backfield mates, settled down and clamped down. Adjuster Bobby Frame had an interception and safety Jim Smith played his usual, hard-hitting game.

Kicking Game: Who was the Crimson kicker last Saturday? Tom Dempsey? Alan Hall booted a pair of 47-yd. field goals, the best efforts of his career. Once a weak link, Hall has come on strong as a kicker. His punting game remains average, however. His average punts flutters 31.2 yards.

Intangibles: Beating Penn would be a feather in the Crimson's battered cap. It would mean, as running back Jim Reidy said last week, that the Crimson belonged in the title hunt this year. Last time Harvard travelled to Philadelphia, it fell, 17-10, with a mediocre team. That Penn team went on to post a 10-0 record. Is another close game in the works?

Coach: Joe, Joe where did your championship go? Joe Restic, gaunt giant of the Multiflex, is having a rough season. The breaks are going against him. His quarterback situation is in disarray. He alone keeps up a smiling countenance. He alone maintains the Crimson is as happy now as it has ever been.

PENN

Quarterback: Malcolm Glover, even more than stellar running back Brian Keys, is the key to Penn's offensive success. Glover has completed 82 of 149 passes for 1191 yards and four touchdowns. Against Princeton two weeks ago, Glover led the attack with 289 yards passing. Sadly for Harvard, Glover's a junior and will be back on the attack next year.

Running Backs: Brian Keys is making a bid for Ivy League Most Valuable Player. Keys, a junior, has averaged more than 100 yards rushing in league games. Last week against Lafayette, the 5-ft., 9-in. speedster rushed for 197 yards. Fullback Jim Beato is another 5-in., 9-in. running back. He is Keys' personal blocking back.

Receivers: Glover's chief targets are flanker Scott Sandler and split end Dave Whaley. Sandler leads the team in catches (23) and receiving yards (343). Whaley is second on the team in receptions (16). Tight end Dolph Tokarczyk can be as tough as his name is to pronounce. If Keys is not running well, Glover will not hesitate to throw to these folks.

Offensive Line: If half a running back's success is due to the offensive line, this group can gloat. Brian Keys' great year is due, in large part, to this unit, one of the bulkiest in the Ivy League.

Defensive Line: The Quakers defense has allowed its Ivy League opponents an average of just 12 points a game. The defensive line is anchored by 6-ft., 245 pound Dan Bauer, who leads the club with seven sacks. The other fellows up front are Kyle Stephenson and Eric Poderys.

Linebackers: Mike Henley has a tackle for every occasion. He leads the Quakers in the tackling department with 105. His co-star is Bill Caughell, who is second on the team in tackles with 67. This duo will be forced to deal with Rod MacLeod's option quarterbacking style.

Secondary: It's a shot to centerfield. Charters is going back, back, back. He's up against the wall. Interception. Free safety Tom Charters, the centerfielder on Penn's baseball team, leads the club in interceptions with five. He can hit the curveball, too.

Kicking Game: Rich Friedenberg provides a strong, if unspectacular leg (22 of 22 on PATS and a long kick of 42 yards). Punter Dave Amendio is average, averaging 33.2 yards per boot. This week's prediction: Harvard will block an Amendio punt late in the third quarter.

Intangibles: Do you think Penn wants its undefeated season holted by a bunch of Harvardians who, Quaker players believe, had no business winning the title last year? Penn is looking to make up for last year's 31-14 loss. It is also eyeing its second undefeated season in three years. Step aside, Harvard, the locomotive is racing down the tracks.

Coach: Ed Zubrow is in his third season at the Penn helm. He has posted 22 victories and only six losses. He is well on the way to leading the Quakers to their second undefeated season in three years. The team's 8-0 record is remarkable because the Quakers were expected to go nowhere.